Monday 7 December 2009

Six Organs of Admittance: In memory of Jack Rose.









I'm straying from what I was going to post this morning to someone who can and will carry on the legacy of Mr. Rose's avant-acoustic-psychedelia. I first witnessed Ben Chasny (the brains behind Six Organs of Admittance) wail like none other in a tiny house show in Santa Cruz playing with Comets on Fire. The entire band played like men possessed for 2 hours, hitting the small crowd with wave after wave of intense freaked out blues-tinged psych-rock. To this day it's one of the best concerts I've ever attended.

If Comets on Fire is a way for Ben Chasny to get out his aggression and rage, Six Organs of Admittance is a way for him to reflect and look inward. Pensive acoustic dirges are the norm, from short little interludes to half an hour opuses, Chasny's acoustic guitar and occasionally haunting vocals leave the listener in a state of peace and calm. I encourage you to seek out any and all albums by this prolific artist.

Six Organs of Admittance - Saint Cloud (from "School for Flowers")
Six Organs of Admittance - The Ballad of Charley Harper (from "Luminous Night")

2 comments:

  1. Comets on Fire remind me of an American version of the Japanese guitar freak out bands (Mainliner, High Rise, Acid Mothers Temple, etc) which is completely rad. Never seen them live, but I bet they're great.

    Chasny is great. Super good live too--I've seen him solo and playing as the guitarist in Current 93.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Comets show you mentioned Craig is still the best show I have ever been too. I have never seen Chasney with Current 93, but I am sure he rocks with them too.

    ReplyDelete