Monday 23 November 2009

Best Coast and 7" Goodness


I love 7 inch records: they are such a great medium for spreading and distributing music. I am pleased that they continue to be used by bands to put out material today. One of the groups sticking to the format is the Los Angeles band Best Coast, who is making a small stir in the independent scene these days. They make straightforward, fuzzed out pop tunes, with agreeable female vocals by Bethany Cosentino who used to play in Pocahaunted. With simple yet great lyrics, they have designed some great pop songs that could easily exist in the early 1960s but don't sound retro. Bethany sings in "That's the Way Boys Are":
When I'm with my guy and he watches the pretty girls go by
It hurts so bad deep inside, I wish that I could die
Not a word do I say, I just look the other way
That's the way boys are
That makes for pure pop perfection.

No Not Fun Not No has all their 7” records to download for free, so get on it before they’re gone. Both of the tracks below are from their Make You Mine 7".

Make You Mine

Feeling of Love

No comments:

Post a Comment