Friday 8 January 2010

Sonic Youth: Avant noise rockers still rocking.



I had the joyous pleasure of seeing Sonic Youth last night here in San Diego so I thought I'd share two songs from this tremendous band who still kicks a lot of ass after all these years. Whether you call it "no wave," "noise," "experimental," or "proto-punk;" the music Sonic Youth creates is undeniably original and refreshing, even as they approach 30 years of releases. The first album I heard of theirs was "Bad Moon Rising." Consisting of a more sparse approach to noise, the album marks a transition between their start up as a band and finding their own voice on the avant noise scene. And since the concert last night consisted mostly of new songs from their latest release "The Eternal," I thought I'd include my favorite track from an album that shows how the band has matured and reigned in their spastic youthful energy.

Sonic Youth - Society is a Hole (from "Bad Moon Rising")
Sonic Youth - Antenna (from "The Eternal")

1 comment:

  1. Still my favorite band of all time, and they continue to put out great, forward thinking records after all these years.

    I wish I could have been at this show. That same night in San Diego, another blogger on this site (Steve Nunez) saw Best Coast live (and who we previously covered here. Makes me miss being in SoCal.

    ReplyDelete