Monday 21 January 2013

坂本九 has the best song I have heard this year

Kyu Sakamoto died three years after I was born. I don't know where his soul went, but his music has filled me with such love that I can not speak of it. I did not hear his music until 2012, when my beautiful girlfriend's father gave me a lot of 7 inch records he acquired. You see, he has two exquisite jukebox machines in his home and an extensive collection of records from Mexico. He did not have a place for Japanese and German records, and handed me a wealth of beautiful songs that I had never heard prior. One of them was from Kyu Sakamoto.

Both may parents worked on the horse race track for years, and thanks to their profession, heard this song often. Apparently, it was a popular tune with Japanese race aficionados, and my mother and father were subjected to it frequently. They may not have appreciated it, but I see the gold in this track. It reminds me how easily new generations throw the old to the dustbins of history without appreciating the greatness of what came before them. 坂本九, you are a musical hero in my book.



 It is free to hear and download below.
The song live... The video with translation... Yet another great live version

1 comment: